Day 3 Job Search Challenge: Improve Your Digital Footprint
It’s day 3 of our job search challenge! By now you should have set your career goals and defined your strengths, helping lay a great foundation to your current or future job search.
Catch up on day 1 of the challenge here and day 2 here.
Today’s challenge is about putting those out into the online world and making the most of the digital tools available to build your profile.
Day 3: improving your digital footprint
Improving your digital footprint is important to your job search for two reasons. Firstly, you’re going to improve your chances of being found. Search engines and social media provide recruiters and organisations with the tools required to source top talent, based on your digital profiles. So the better your profile, the more likely you are to turn up in a search for that dream role you’ve been looking for.
Secondly, once you have been found, we’re able to find out a lot more about you – even before you’ve submitted a resume.
So to help improve your digital footprint, here’s our tips:
- Optimise your LinkedIn profile. Be sure to complete all sections of your profile and include the keywords relevant to your skills and experience as you’ve detailed in yesterday’s challenge.
- Build your personal brand. The more active you are within the professional space of your expertise, the better. Be clear with what you want to be know for it, and be active in this space.
- Join relevant social media groups and be active. Identify relevant groups within your area of expertise, and be active in these groups by providing relevant comment and content of value to others members.
- Make connections. Reach out to those in the industry, connect with people you meet at offline events, remembering to add a note to each connection request. Connections can be of great benefit during your job search.
- Be mindful of your social activity. If it’s not something you want future employers making a judgment call on, keep it offline to be safe.
If you’d like more information on how to use LinkedIn to increase your job search success, read our blog post here.
Don’t miss Day 4 of our job search challenge by subscribing to our newsletter here and and follow us on LinkedIn.